If you’re thinking about running Facebook contests to get more eyeballs on your brand’s Facebook page, you’ll need a few tricks up your sleeve to do it right.
So if you want your audience doing a lot more of this, follow some of our tips for Facebook contests below:
- Follow the rules: Stick to asking your fans to like a post or page, comment on a post, check-in at your business, or post to your page. Facebook is not made for rule-breakers, so make sure to avoid asking them to share your post or page and tag their friends. Also, this tactic is terrible – users who may have otherwise loved to participate in your Facebook contests with you will avoid you like the plague if you clog up their personal page with your posts about skinny jeans or family fajita night.
- Get yourself a goal: Don’t just run a contest for the fun of it. Make sure you have a goal in mind. There’s no point giving away a hotel stay for two if you don’t get any engagement or get any insight into who your customers truly are.
- Keep your prize relevant: Make sure that your prize fits your business. Any prize you give away should remind people of your brand. Even for the non-winners (there are no losers, right?), they should be thinking about how much they WANTED to win your prize. So if you sell local ice cream, make it an ice cream party. If you sell beer, make it a mini-keg. Offering an iPad won’t help your paperback romance novels sell any faster.
- Make it easy: Keep forms short, keep entry simple, and keep it easy to enter – unless it’s a skill-testing question, of course.
- Use every channel to promote your contest: Get on Twitter, get on Instagram – let the world know that you’ve got something to win!
- Make it mobile-friendly: Everyone is on their phones. Make the most of it.
- Measure, measure, measure: Use your analytics tool to properly measure your success! Grab some historical data and scan the past year. What contests worked? Which were duds? Combine the best of this one with the best of that one and you’ve got yourself a winner!
- The consolation prize: This tip from WishPond couldn’t be better: If you can, offer your entrants a little consolation prize. Can you spare a 10% off coupon? Can you offer a few free samples with their next purchase?
While you’re planning, ask yourself these great questions from Hootsuite:
- Did I choose the right type of contest?
- Did I give my contest enough time?
- Did I target the right audience?
- Did the giveaway provide enough incentive?
- Did I define a clear set of rules? Were they easy to follow?
- What was the biggest obstacle I faced in running the contest?”
Now, get thee to Facebook and start promoting your contest!
Here’s a great post from the team at Gleam that sums up Facebook Contest best practices very nicely! https://blog.gleam.io/facebook-competitions/
For more helpful tips from Wishpond, check out their fantastic article here: http://blog.wishpond.com/post/115675436016/21-facebook-contest-best-practices/
Hootsuite has a few more tips for running a successful contest here: https://blog.hootsuite.com/6-facebook-contest-best-practices-for-businesses/